Want to get into fitness? Are you overweight or underweight and planning to lose or gain some extra points? But still confused about what should be your ideal weight. If you’re underweight or overweight by a few pounds, then that’s totally fine. But if you won’t be able to maintain it, then you’ll be prone to diseases.
The fat stored in the body is important as it helps in the functioning of different organs. But be cautious of the fat that gets stored around the waist and your abdominal organs.
You would develop health risks soon. So, you must know your ideal weight to prevent yourself from diseases like hypertension, cardiac arrest, type 2 diabetes, etc. Now, you must be thinking about underweight people. Well, being underweight does affect your health. There would be fertility issues, decreased immune function, anemia. These diseases are commonly seen in people who weigh less than their ideal weight.
Table of Contents
Weight And Height Proportion
Are you thinking about how you would know what your ideal weight is following your height? Well, there is a tool for it, BMI (Body Mass Index). It would give your ideal weight in agreement with your height.
How To Check Your BMI?
The formula for getting your BMI is:
BMI= m by h²
m is for Mass. (kilograms)
h is for Height. (meters)
You have to remember a few things after you get the BMI.
- If it comes below 18.5; then you are underweight.
- 18.5 to 24.9 is considered healthy.
- 25 to 34.9 obscene.
- Above 35, it is extremely obscene.
Physiologically and biologically, men and women are different. So, weight height proportion in an individual is also influenced by gender.
Height Weight Chart
Height Female Male
4′ 6″(137 cm) 63/77 lbs(28.5/34.9 kg) 63/77 lbs(28.5/34.9 kg)
4′ 7″(140 cm) 68/83 lbs(30.8/37.6 kg) 68/84 lbs(30.8/38.1 kg)
4′ 8″(142 cm) 72/88 lbs(32.6/39.9 kg) 74/90 lbs(33.5/40.8 kg)
4′ 9″(145 cm) 77/94 lbs(34.9/42.6 kg) 79/97 lbs(35.8/43.9 kg)
4′ 10″(147 cm) 81/99 lbs(36.4/44.9 kg) 85/103 lbs(38.5/46.7 kg)
4′ 11″(150 cm) 86/105 lbs(39/47.6 kg) 90/110 lbs(40.8/49.9 kg)
5′ 0” (152 cm) 90/110 lbs(40.8/49.9 kg) 95/117 lbs(43.1/53 kg)
5′ 1″(155 cm) 95/116 lbs(43.1/52.6 kg) 101/123 lbs(45.8/55.8 kg)
5′ 2″(157 cm) 99/121 lbs(44.9/54.9 kg) 106/130 lbs(48.1/58.9 kg)
5′ 3″(160 cm) 104/127 lbs(47.2/57.6 kg) 112/136 lbs(50.8/61.6 kg)
5′ 4″(163 cm) 108/132 lbs(49/59.9 kg) 117/143 lbs(53/64.8 kg)
5′ 5″(165 cm) 113/138 lbs(51.2/62.6 kg) 122/150 lbs(55.3/68 kg)
5′ 6″(168 cm) 117/143 lbs(53/64.8 kg) 128/156 lbs(58/70.7 kg)
5′ 7″(170 cm) 122/149 lbs(55.3/67.6 kg) 133/163 lbs(60.3/73.9 kg)
5′ 8″(173 cm) 126/154 lbs(57.1/69.8 kg) 139/169 lbs(63/76.6 kg)
5′ 9″(175 cm) 131/160 lbs(59.4/72.6 kg) 144/176 lbs(65.3/79.8 kg)
5′ 10″(178 cm) 135/165 lbs(61.2/74.8 kg) 149/183 lbs(67.6/83 kg)
5′ 11″(180 cm) 140/171 lbs(63.5/77.5 kg) 155/189 lbs(70.3/85.7 kg)
6′ 0″(183 cm) 144/176 lbs(65.3/79.8 kg) 160/196 lbs(72.6/88.9 kg)
Other Factors That Influence The Weight Of An Individual
The factors that influence the weight of an individual are age, gender, body fat distribution, body shape, and body type.
1) Age: It is seen that older people have more mass compared to the younger ones. There are many reasons for it. The lipid turnover in fat tissue decreases as we age, which leads to weight gain as we have seen that older people struggle to maintain their weight, making it an important reason for weight gain.
2) Gender and Fat Percentage: It is proven that women have more body fat percentage compared to men. Why is that so? Women have 6 to 11% more fat percentage because they have to preserve energy in the form of fat for childbearing. So, the fat in women stores in the form of energy.
Check your body fat % with relevance to your age and gender.
Age Female (body fat %) Male(body fat %)
20-29 16-24% 7-17%
30-39 17-25% 12-21%
40-49 19-28% 14-23%
50-59 22-31% 16-24%
60+ 22-33% 17-25%
3)Body Shape: The weight of the person also depends on the body shape of that individual. For apple-shaped body shape, they usually have fat stored around their abdomen area. High cholesterol, type 2 diabetes are common with people of this body type. On the other hand, pear-shaped body types tend to gain weight in their thighs and buttocks. Studies reveal that people who have this body type have less risk of getting chronic diseases.
4)Body Type: There are three body types, namely:
- Ectomorph: People with this body type are lean and have small joints. They tend to have a high metabolism. This body type is seen in models and athletes. They hardly gain weight. But as they age, if they don’t maintain a proper diet, then they’re more susceptible to diseases.
- Mesomorph: This is the ideal body type. It’s easy for them to gain and lose weight if they maintain a proper diet. This body type is suitable for muscle building activities. They have fine metabolism.
- Endomorph: People with this body type tend to gain weight easily. They have a very slow metabolism, and it’s hard for them to lose weight. You have to maintain a proper diet if you want to gain muscle, but it would take you longer than the other two body types to maintain weight.
You can rely on all the above-mentioned information. By calculating BMI, you would know where do you fall. Are you fit, normal or obese? We have provided you with a height-weight chart as per your gender. Additionally, we have given all other factors which influence the weight of an individual. We hope this was helpful.